Title VI

The City of Grand Junction encourages resolution of complaints at the lowest possible level of responsibility. Every effort will be made to resolve complaints informally at the Department level, including complaints based on the actions of contractors.  Any person who believes that he or she has received unequal or discriminatory treatment as to the receipt of benefits and/or services based on his or her race, color, national origin, or limited English proficiency has the right to file a written complaint under Title VI with the affected City department director or the City Manager.

Complaints alleging disability discrimination may be submitted electronically through the Fix It Form on the City website at by selecting the "Type" of Grievance Under Title VI from the dropdown menu.

Grievances may also be directed to the City's Risk Management Division:

Jodi Romero, Finance Director/Risk Manager
250 North 5th Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501
(970) 244-1555

This process applies to all complaints filed under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, arising from any program, service of or activity of the City.

This is an administrative process that does not provide for compensatory or punitive damages.  The City's process is not exclusive. A person filing a complaint with the City may also file a complaint with other state or federal agencies or the courts. Other agencies have time limits for filing complaints. Generally Title VI complaints must to be filed within 180 days of the date of the discrimination.

The Title VI complaint process does not cover complaints based on protections afforded under other civil rights statutes, such as sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or source of income. If a complaint is filed alleging such discrimination, the complainant will be notified that it cannot be processed as a Title VI complaint; however, the City will review complaints of discrimination in the delivery of its programs or services based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or source of income to determine if they can be informally resolved.