Utility Billing

250 N. 5th Street
Grand Junction, CO 81501
Phone: 970-244-1579
Pay Bill Online

Utility Billing FAQ

Do you have a senior citizen discount?

In 2004, the Senior Citizen Discount for water was discontinued. Over the last few years the minimum charge for water has remained low, providing the minimum discount to all users, including seniors.

How do I start or stop service?

Starting or stopping service is easy. Simply call us at 970-244-1579 with the service address, the effective date, your name and a mailing address. Please call at least one week prior to the effective date if possible. When a home is being sold, normally the title company takes care of transferring utility services and paying final bills.

Where/how can I pay my bill? Is it possible to pay my bill online?

Please see Pay Your Utility Bill .

Can you help me out with my gas and electric question?

The City of Grand Junction does not provide gas or electric services. Please contact Xcel Energy at 1-800-895-4999 or Grand Valley Rural Power at 970-242-0040.

What is the The Ridges irrigation schedule?

The Ridges Irrigation System is normally on from the first of April through the end of October or until the first freeze occurs.

Why do I pay year round for irrigation when it is shut off during the winter?

Irrigation charges (rates) to cover the cost of operating the Ridges Irrigation system are calculated and pro-rated over a 12-month period. The total cost per year to the customer would be the same whether it was charged out over 7 months or 12 months.

How do I get my water shut off so I can repair my service line?

You will want to call a Customer Service Representative at 970-244-1579 and request that the water meter be temporarily shut off for repairs. Please do not attempt to turn a water meter off yourself, as the water meter is the City's property and responsibility. If possible, please schedule repairs during normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.). For an after-hours EMERGENCY water shut-off, dial 970-242-6707.

While you have your water shut off, it is recommended that an isolation valve be installed on your service line.  This allows you to turn the water on and off, in case of repairs or an emergency.

My water bill seems high this month. Does this mean I have a leak?

Not necessarily, but you should call a Customer Service Representative at 970-244-1579 and request a re-read of your water meter. If the reading is correct, then you can test for a water leak by following these step-by-step instructions.

How can I keep my pipes from freezing during the cold winter months?

One of the easiest and most effective ways to prevent waterlines from freezing is to turn on your faucets during the cold weather months. By continuously running a small stream of water (the size of a pencil lead) through your faucets - particularly faucets located on exterior walls - you can help prevent costly repairs. Additional water usage charges may apply, so customers are encouraged to sign up for the Drip Program by calling Utility Billing at 970-244-1579. If your pipes do freeze, you should not attempt to forcefully heat your waterlines - it is best to let lines thaw naturally.