Please read your ticket first. If you were cited to appear in court on a specific date, then you must do so. Make sure you are on time and allow up to 2 hours for your hearing.
If Penalty Assessment Is Checked
The citation you have received is a penalty assessment and may be mailed. The fine shown on the reverse side is the minimum fine for the stated violations as required and specified by law. If the fine payment is postmarked on or before 20 days from the date of issuance on the citation, the points may be reduced according to law. To use this method and avoid additional court costs, the fine must be mailed and must be postmarked no later than 20 days from the date of issuance of the citation. For more information on Municipal Court point reduction, call 970-244-1537.
If you do not pay within the 20 days from the date of issuance of the citation, you will not receive a point reduction; however, you may still pay a Municipal Court fine before the court date. If the citation is not postmarked prior to the court appearance date or you reschedule the court appearance date, then the citation becomes a summons. You will be required to appear in court at the specified date, place and time, and you lose the option to mail-in the fine for the automatic point reduction.
Paying the Penalty Assessment
By paying the penalty assessment, you acknowledge guilt or liability and waive the following rights:
- The right to be informed of the nature of the charges against you
- The right to be represented by an attorney
- The right to deny the allegations against you and to have a hearing before a judge or a jury, if applicable
- The right to remain silent
- The right to have your guilt of liability proven
- The right to testify, subpoena witnesses, present evidence and cross-examine witnesses for the prosecution
- The right to appeal the decision to a higher court
Minors must have a parent or legal guardian present in court. The judge may request copies of any court orders affecting guardianship.
Please contact Municipal Court for further information at 970-244-1537.
State or County Citations
Citations issued by State Patrol or Mesa County Sheriff's Department, please contact Mesa County Court at 970-257-3640