On 01/17/23, at approximately 12:10 PM, officers with the Grand Junction Police Department and other local law enforcement agencies responded to the area of Northern Way and Patterson Rd for reports of multiple shots fired. Read more here for information about the initial incident.
Michael C. Viegas, age 29, was taken into custody and transported to the Mesa County jail. Viegas was booked on the following charges:
- Attempted First Degree Murder (F2)
- Attempted First Degree Murder of a Peace Officer (F2)
- Attempted Assault in the First Degree (F3), three counts
- Criminal Mischief (F6)
- Prohibited Use of Weapons (M1), 25 counts
- Reckless Endangerment (M2)
- Resisting Arrest (M2)
This is believed to be an isolated incident and there is no ongoing threat to the community. This investigation remains ongoing and there is no further information at this time.